Saturday 26 March 2016

Let it all hang out

Today I spent a good amount of time building up to taking my "before" photos for this entry. When I was young, I read that Bruce Lee used to do tense his abs while he was driving because he didn't want to waste a minute's opportunity to get fitter. Since then I've pretty much constantly had my stomach pulled in.

Even when I was really fit (and I was extremely fit as a teenager), I still unconsciously kept my stomach tensed nearly constantly - it's a habit that I've developed through maybe twenty long years of practise.

It's not uncommon when I speak to people about weight loss that they tell me I'm "not that fat", or that I don't have any weight to lose. I understand that a lot of the time, these comments are meant to be helpful, but honestly they seem to be missing the point: firstly, I'm fatter than I want to be and that's really my decision to make; secondly, as I say, I tend to be holding my stomach in throughout these conversations, hiding my shame behind a fairly baggy top and reflecting that, at the very least, I'm grateful these people don't know my truth; and thirdly, those comments from friends notwithstanding and as I'm about to show, I am objectively, scientifically, medically and even just aesthetically overweight.

Today I'm taking a leap and putting the evidence in front of anyone who cares to see: here you will find my "before" photos and my first measurements (weight, height, BNI, waist circumference).

*Deep breath*...

... ok.

 

As I said previously, I could definitely be larger. But coming from a background which includes running maybe 100 miles per week as one of about four or five exercises or sports I did regularly, this is plenty large enough to cause me serious embarrassment and unhappiness.

Today's measurements mark the starting point and give me a way to really keep track of where I am:


HeightWeightBMIWaist
Metric172cm85.1kg28.7109.2cm
Imperial5' 7.7"187.6lbs28.743"


My initial goals are to drop my weight to between 70kg and 75kg and to drop my waist to between 32" and 34". That will lower my BMI to between 23.6 and 25.3, which is sitting at the high end of a healthy weight.

The focus for this week: get used to not having any alcohol. I'll be keeping a food diary and trying to do some more actual exercise, but my main goal is just to not have a drink. 

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment